Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Problems, Opportunities, and Your Opinion

Wake Up: 4:35

Push Ups: 70
Sit Ups: 20
Pull Ups: 10

Writing Time: 5:02am - 6:10am


I had an overall pretty good writing day today. I got up early and that's always good.

I woke up at 4:30am, looked at the clock and thought "Oh shit, I'm late for work!" Then took a moment and realized I don't work today. (I have to leave the house at 4:05am to get to work on time)

I've been having a problems, with that lately. Actually if you want to talk Wal-Mart talk, we could say, "Ive been having some opportunities with my tardiness."

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that problems can be viewed as an opportunity to develop better ideas. There are no problems, just opportunities to improve the way we do things. It's the positive way of thinking and I am all for that

But, it is funny when people just substitute the word opportunity for problem. Trust me, I see them do it at work all the time. But the funny part is, I don't think they understand the concept.

It's rather comical.

Anyway, I worked on Chapter 4 this morning. No need for a complete rewrite on this chapter which is a relief. I started my writing morning by reading chapter 1, but put a quick end to that.

What happens is that I will read a little, then tinker a little, then read a little, then tinker a little more. I had to tell myself to leave it alone, so I moved ahead to chapter 4. That did need some tinkering. ( it had some opportunities for improvement) I rewrote the description of one of my characters, her name is Julia. Tell me what you think of the character description, and do you get a good image of her?

Does she seem annoying?
***************


When the truck was out of sight, Robert turned up the steps and walked into the restaurant. The lobby smelled of sweet baked breads, syrup, and a combination of cinnamon and spiced apples. Robert walked up to the podium and waited.

Julia, the breakfast waitress snuck up from behind him and goosed Robert, knocking his knees out with hers.

Robert turned to see her laughing. “Very funny, now can I have a table?” He tried to play it off as not a big deal, but the truth was she was always doing these foolish things. “Seriously Julia.”

"Your brother's not here yet." She said chomping on her gum.

Julia was young, and immature. Not the kind of girl Robert would be attracted to. Her skin was a pale whitewash gray, and silhouetted against her black hair she looked almost ghoulish. Small bits of shrapnel poked through her skin, lips and even her nose, which didn’t help her ghostly complexion any. Her only saving grace was the black dress pants and a white polo shirt the restaurant must have made her wear.

Robert took her in again, realizing she would be a fairly pretty girl if only she lost her desperate need to look angry. And Robert knew about anger, but the difference was, Robert internalized his.

*************

Well, there it is, right from the pages of The Waking Hour. How does it sound?

Be honest now.

It looks dreary outside. Ick!

So much for getting anything done outside today. Oh Darn, that means I can't start dismantling the camper today. Not really something I am looking forward to. Although I was in it the other day and realized I can use some of the bunks for the kids tree house. Maybe some other stuff too. We'll see.

I wonder how long it will take me to dismantle it. Maybe I will post some pictures. Maybe I will set it on fire?

Just kidding.

Well, that is it for this morning.

Those are the Thoughts of a George,

Until tomorrow,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the rewrite!