Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Missiles, Death and Happiness........

I was able to get a good solid forty-five minutes of writing done this morning. Actually it was more like planning time than writing time, but it was productive and that's good.

I like productive days.

If I don't plan before I set about writing something, I flounder along and my writing suffers. I also get discouraged easier. It's like taking a trip to California without a map.

All I do is head west........right? I guess that could work, but there would be quite a few detours on the way.

Right now I feel that there is much to do and so little time. I have so many things I want to work on, but so few hours in the day.

Then again I also want to enjoy life, because you know what, we are very lucky to be alive. We only get ninety or so years if we're lucky. Why do we blow it on foolish stuff sometimes. Ninety years isn't really that long when you think about it.........and I think about it.

What amazes me, is that I have already been here for thirty six years and it has gone by so fast. My daughter is going to be nine years old and my son will be four ......... and my god I only blinked for a moment.

Recently I have been trying to concentrate on things that make me happy. I have been trying to enjoy the little things. I have been trying to get less irritated at those pesky little things that I shouldn't get irritated over.

Little things like the clothes dryer not working......... okay that isn't a little thing, but my point is, my life could end tomorrow.

Please don't runaway scared. I'm not trying to be depressing. Life as we know it can change in an instant. With tensions getting worse with North Korea, what if we went to war. What if they did launch nuclear missiles?

Would the dryer not working be so important anymore.

I try to ask myself those question. What would I say in my last few moments before I was to leave this earth. Okay, that was the nice way to put it. What would I say before I died.......

Would I say, "Boy I really wish I made enough money to get a new car." or "Man I should have gone for supervisor at work."

Hell No! I would I say....... "I wish I spent more time with the kids. I wish I told everyone I loved them. I wish I spent more time on things that really mattered to me. Writing, drawing, family. "

But that's the hard part. Trying to filter out the things that matter the most instead of the things that don't. Sometimes I think that we as a society base our priorities on external, rather than internal importance.

We care about what everyone else thinks of us and tend to ignore what is really important...... What we think of ourselves.

I'm just as guilty as everyone else, but I am working on it and that makes me happy!

What is one thing you might say just before you die.

I know it's very scary going there, but do it for just a moment. Not for me, for yourself.

"I really wish I....................."

Now take a few minutes today and do it. I'm going to. After I write this, I'm going out to hug, kiss and tell everyone I love them.

Those are The Deep Thoughts of a George,

Until tomorrow

No comments: