Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sex, Writing and New Cars

Wake Up: 5:20am

Push Ups: 60
Sit Ups: 20
Pull Ups: 10

Writing Time: 5:40am - 6:16am


My writing morning turned out pretty good this morning. Although it wasn't as long as I would have liked. I got up late, of course because I went to bed late.

Big surprise there.

Although my writing time was limited, I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I was lost in rewriting and the next thing I know, Jorgie was up. I looked down at my desktop clock and it's already 6:16.

Are you wondering why 6:16. Well, Jorgie has her alarm set to 6:16am. She doesn't want it set for 6:15 or 6:17, it has to be 6:16? It does kind of have a rhyme to it.

Anyway, I didn't want to stop writing this morning, which is always a good sign. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be done rewriting.

Yes, I will !

That was the super positive me by the way. I told the other George to keep it down and stay in check. I had some problems with that guy this weekend. You know the one, the one that says,

"I'll never get published."

Yeah, you know who I'm talking about. We all have that side. But I believe that hard work and diligence pays off in the end.

(boy I hope so)

I do know that you can't just work hard and stay in a cave forever, that doesn't work. But I think that what you produce needs to be the best you can do.

Michelle, my wonderful sister, wrote about marketing this weekend on her blog. I think marketing is important, but I don't think that product should be second in line. Not saying that is what Michelle said, I just want to express my opinion on the subject.

I think that product is most important, out of everything. Let's use a car for an example.

You could spend millions of dollars on an add campaign, get the word out there about your new wonderful car, but the reality is, if the car leaves you unsatisfied, you will tell everyone that the car SUCKS! Millions of dollars spent, and no one buys your car.

It's the same theory that Donald Maass uses in his book, Writing the Breakout Novel. If you don't have quality characters, quality plot line and a book that gives the reader a feeling of connection, you will not recommend that book, or buy another book from the author. It's that simple. We need to make a connection with our readers, and the way we do that is having a quality product.

It's like sex.

Oh my god, I mentioned sex. I'll probably get a whole bunch of hits on my blog today.

Anyway, if you're not satisfied after sex, you're probably not going to look forward to it next time. Right? Except with sex you don't have to pay for it.

Well, I guess some people do, although it is illegal!

With a book, we invest a lot more time than we do with sex. We invest a week or two with it. We sleep with it, we eat with it, and if it's really good, we ride to work with it. To do that, you have to want to read it. As a writer we are faced with so much competition out there. We have to compete with the Internet, movies, TV, friends, sex, so many things that people could be doing other than reading our books. We are in a fast paced society that doesn't value reading much anymore. So what are we to do?

Make sure your product is good. I mean really, really good. So good that your ready can't put it down.
How do we do this. Write, read and maybe a little praying to whatever god you pray to.

Well that's it for today. I have to bring Jorgie to school.

Those are the thought of a George,

Until tomorrow,

No comments: