Friday, April 3, 2009

Writing Time April 3rd 2009

Wake Up: 5:05am

Push Ups: 70
Sit Ups: 20
Pull Ups: 10
Chin Ups: 5


Writing Time: 5:20am - 6:10am


Well, I can tell it was my Non Fiction day today. Evidence being, me hitting the snooze a few too many times this morning, and not getting up until 5:05. It would probably help if I could get to bed before 11:30pm.

I mean, seriously!

On a positive note, I did get some writing time in, even though I didn't produce all that much today, it's at least a step in the right direction. A step to being finished.

Non Fiction is hard for me. It requires more structure than fiction. Not that fiction doesn't have structure, but with fiction you can let the story take you to some distant land.

That doesn't happen with non fiction. When writing, you have to keep your feet grounded and convey to the reader the information without tripping over your tongue, while still trying to keep it entertaining and witty. It's tougher for me that's for sure.

I can remember that I couldn't tell the difference between Non Fiction and Fiction when I was a kid, actually, even though I am embarrassed to admit it, when I was out of high school too. I can remember stating that I was going to be a writer, despite the fact that I couldn't tell anyone the difference between the two. I didn't read much back then, but I do now. It's very important and sometimes I feel that when you read, it's like learning through osmosis. You absorb the information and style, and tricks of the trade without knowing it. Michelle and I were talking about that last night, how important it is to read, and to write every day.

You know what's amazing. Take a look at these statistics:

80 percent of the United States population wants to write a book!

How can that be when:

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. (Holy Crap!)
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. (Seriously!)
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. (Who's going to buy my book!)
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. (No wonder why we can't get published!)
57 percent of new books are not read to completion. (Ouch!)

All statistics found here at: http://www.humorwriters.org/startlingstats.html


How crazy is that!!!!!

I couldn't imagine not reading, and besides you can't write a book if you don't read them. That's just a fact. I was going to say it was an obvious fact, but apparently it isn't. 80 percent. WOW!

Well I guess that's it for today. Back to real work tomorrow, so you won't hear from me until Tuesday morning. Unless I get a fit of inspiration after working twelve hours. Very doubtful.

Later,
George

No comments: